Frequently Asked Questions

Q. How old do I need to be to start training?

A. The min. age requirement is 17 years old for a Private Pilot Licence, & 18 years old for a Commercial Pilot Licence or Frozen ATPL.

Q. What are the min. Educational Requirements?

A. We suggest a C+ in School graduating Core Mathematics, Physical Science & English.

Q. What if I didn’t take Core Mathematics and Physical Science?

A. We would advise that you first achieve this requirement, although not a pre-request it is highly recommended.

Q. Other than my school subjects, what else do I need to qualify for enrolment?

A. You will need to pass an aviation medical exam (done by an Aviation Doctor) and an English Proficiency test. These are included in your course fees, however, should you have any pre-existing medical conditions we would strongly suggest that you have your medical done before you arrive.

Q. What conditions could prevent me from obtaining an Aviation Medical?

A. Colour Blindness, Diabetes (Type 1), Epilepsy and Lung/Cardiac disorders to mention a few.

Q. What Qualifications does 43 offer ?

A. We offer Private and Commercial Pilot Licences, Airline Pilot’s Licence, as well as Air Traffic control training and aircraft maintenance courses.

Q. How do I enroll for a course?

A. Sign all the pages of estimate sent to you and return them to us, along with the following documents:
Copy of your ID/Passport, School leaving Certificate, Copy of your Medical Aid Cover, & Proof of payment for your Deposit (to secure your enrollment).

Q. Do I need to have a Study Visa?

A. If you are a foreign student, you will need to have a study visa to study at 43 Air School, valid for a 24 Month period.

Q. Do you offer Sponsorships or Bursaries ?

A. Unfortunately we do not offer Bursaries or Sponsorships as we are not the employer.

Q. Where can I get Financial Assistance?

A. If you are a South African Citizen you can apply to Banks for a student loan. If you are a foreign student, we suggest that you apply for financial assistance in your countries respective financial institutions.

Q. Do I have to stay on campus?

A. Yes, it is mandatory that you stay on-campus until the completion of your final ground school phase. If you wish to move off campus after ground school, this must be motivated in writing to the College Master & can be granted subject to the Head of training’s approval and a calendar month’s notice.

Q.Will I be allowed any breaks in my course?

A. Yes, however it is not recommended that you break your training.

Q. Can I bring my family with?

A. We only offer single accommodation, so your family will need to find accommodation in Port Alfred.

Q. How long will the course take me?

A. The duration of your course is given in the Estimate provided, it will be your own ability and weather that will determine exactly how long the course will take you.

Q. Is my licence internationally recognised?

A. No licence is internationally recognized. You will need to convert your licence in accordance with the licensing authority of the country that you intend flying in.

Q. How soon should I pay my deposit?

A. Allow six months in advance of your chosen starting date to pay your deposit and secure your placeon the course. For late or last minute bookings please first check with us regarding course availability.

Q. Do I need to do an Aviation psychometric test?

A. It is not one of our requirements, but is a good idea, especially if you are uncertain about your career choice and/or suitability to be a pilot.